We are a certified bonded and licenced contractor (CA Lic# 72630) that meets or exceeds California Building Codes.
BAMC, Inc. will install a liner that is 20 mil thick and similar to a pool liner. The top edge of the CleanSpace membrane is sealed to the walls with polyurethane sealant. All seams are sealed with a special sealant and 4 inch wide tape made especially for the CleanSpace membrane. BAMC, Inc. seals the polyethylene to the top edge of the foundation wall.
A properly sealed, moisture-protected, and
insulated crawlspace will increase comfort,
save on energy costs, improve the durability of
the home, and reduce entry of moisture, radon,
and other potential irritants or pollutants into
the home. Whichever design is followed, the
keys to an effective crawlspace are:
Moisture control – using a water-managed
foundation system to drain rainwater and
groundwater away from foundations.
Airtight construction – sealing all air leaks
between the conditioned space and the outside
prior to insulation installation.
Complete insulation coverage – properly
installing the correct insulation levels and
making sure the insulation coverage is
continuous and complete.
WATER-MANAGED FOUNDATION SYSTEM
A crawlspace is susceptible to moisture and
deterioration problems because of contact with
the earth. The best approaches for preventing
these problems will depend on the local climate
and style of construction, but the following
general rules apply to most crawlspace designs.
- Keep all untreated wood materials away from the earth.
- Provide rain drainage, such as gutters, to conduct rainwater away from the house.
- Slope the earth away from the house for at least 5 feet at a minimum 5% grade (3 inches in 5 feet). Establish drainage swales to direct rainwater around the house.
- Add a sill gasket to provide air sealing.
- Install a protective membrane, such as an EPDM-type membrane, to serve as a capillarybreak that reduces wicking of water from the masonry wall. This membrane, in addition to metal flashing, can serve as a termite shield.
- Dampproof the below-grade portion of the foundation wall to prevent the wall from absorbing ground moisture by capillary action.
- Install drainage plane material or gravel against the foundation wall to relieve hydrostatic pressure and channel water to the foundation drain.
- Provide a foundation drainage system at the bottom of the footing, not on top, when the foundation floor (interior grade) is below the exterior grade. Surround a perforated 4-inch drain pipe with gravel and cover them with filter fabric.
- Install 6-mil polyethylene across the crawlspace floor to prevent soil moisture from migrating into the crawlspace. Overlap and tape all seams by 12 inches, and seal the polyethylene 6 inches up the crawlspace walls.
Source: Office Of Building Technology, State and Community Programs
Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy * U.S. Department Of Energy
For more information visit http://www.bsc.ca.gov/default.htm